Angad Sent As An Envoy

garry420

Reaction score
Sri Rama then sought the advice of his ministers on his further course of action. Jambvant advised Sri Rama to send Angad as an envoy to Ravan. Sri Rama then told Angad-

"You possess many great qualities. We have decided to send you to Lanka as our envoy. Discharge your duties so that our objectives are fulfilled."

Angad went away after making salutations.

As soon as he entered the city of Lanka he saw Ravan's son playing. A quarrel broke out between them. Ravan's son kicked Angad. Angad pulled his legs. All the demons ran away and gave the news to Ravan that the same monkey (Hanumana) had returned who had caused destruction in Lanka. People of Lanka mistook Angad for Hanumana. This way Angad reached the royal court of Ravan without any difficulty.

DIALOGUE BETWEEN ANGAD AND RAVAN
When Ravan heard about Angad's arrival he summoned him. Ravan asked-

"Who are you?"

To this Angad replied-
"I am the messenger of Sri Rama Chandra. I have come to help you because you and my father were fast friends. You are from a very decent clan and the grandson of Sage Pulastya. Your father Vishwashrawa was also a great sage. You are a great devotee of Brahma and Lord Shiva, who have blessed you with immense power. You are invincible but abducting Sita you have committed a grave sin. Believe my words- Sri Rama will forgive your sins if you return Sita to him."

But Ravan became furious. He said-

"O foolish monkey! Mind your language! You don't know me. Tell me, how was your father a friend of mine?"

Then Angad replied-

"I am the son of Baali. Do you remember ever meeting him?"

Ravan thought for a while and he recalled that he had indeed had a meeting with Baali. He enquired about the well being of Baali. Angad said mocking at him-

"You yourself would come to know about him within ten days when in the heaven, he would inform you about the consequences of having enemity with Sri Rama."

At this Ravan lost his cool and began to shout.

To this Angad mocked-

"I know that your policy is to enslave even an envoy."

Thereafter, Angad tried every means to convince Ravan for submission and peaceful way out of the crisis. But Ravan was firm to face a battle instead of conceding his defeat. Angad then firmly planted his foot on the ground and threw a challenge that if anybody in Ravan's court uprooted his foot, Sri Rama would conceed his defeat and return. All the mighty demons commanders of Ravan's army and even Meghanaad tried their best to uproot Angad's foot but none of them succeeded. Humiliation of his mighty commanders and Meghanaad infuriated Ravan who began to hurl abuses at Sri Rama, which made Angad lose his temper.

He hit the ground with both his hands with such a tremendous force that set tremors in earth. Ravan fell on the ground and his crowns too fell down from his head. The courtiers ran away in fright. Ravan tried to pick up his crowns. But before he could have even touched them, Angad picked four of them and hurled them in the direction of Sri Rama.

When the monkeys saw the flying crowns approaching towards them they got frightened. But Sri Rama knew that they were the crowns of Ravan. Hanumana caught the flying crowns in the air and kept it in front of Sri Rama. Everybody was amazed to see the brightness of those crowns.

Ravan ordered his men to kill Angad. But before anybody could have touched Angad, he laughed aloud and escaped hurriedly. The demons kept on rubbing their palms and champing in desperation.

This way Angad returned back to Sri Rama and narrated the whole story to Him.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Ramayana 0