Story of Lord Ganesha and Kartikeya

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who is more devoted their parents and Parabrahma between God Ganesha and God Kartikeya?
Ganesha and His brother Lord Subramanya (Kartikeya) once had a dispute as to who was more devoted to their parents i.e Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi or for that matter the supreme being i.e Parabrahma (In Hinduism the Hindus consider Parabrahma to be the supreme being like Yahova of Jews.And Gods like Shiva ,Parvathi,Ganesha,Kartikeya,Vishnu,Lakshmi,Brahma etc are in fact the various forms of Parabrahma to control the various forces of the entire universe.So worshipping Lord Shiva,Ganesha,Vishnu,Goddess Lakshmi etc is equivalent to worshipping the formless Lord Parabrahma)of the two. The matter was referred to Lord Shiva for final decision. Shiva decided that whoever would make a tour of the whole world and come back first to the starting point is more devoted. Subramanya flew off at once on his vehicle, the peacock, to make a circuit of the world. But lord Ganesha was wise and went in worshipfulness, around his parents and asked for the prize on his victory.

Lord Shiva

Lord Shiva said, “Beloved and wise Ganesha! What have you done?You did not go around the world?”

Ganesha replied, “No, but I have revolved around my parents. My parents represent the entire manifested universe!”

Thus the dispute was settled in favor of Lord Ganesha, who was thereafter acknowledged as being more devoted of the two brothers. Mother Parvati gave Him prize in the form of fruit for his victory.

In the Ganapathi Upanishad, Ganesha is identified with the Supreme Self.