The Journey of Swami Vivekananda

garry420

Reaction score
“The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.”

His Childhood-

Swami Vivekananda was born in an affluent family in Kolkata on January 12th, 1863, the day is celebrated as National Youth Day throughout the country. His birth name is Narendra Nath Datta. In his childhood, he excelled in studies, gymnastics and music. He was very attracted to meditation from his school days and used to practice it regularly. By the time he was in college, he acquired vast knowledge on various subjects like Indian and western philosophy, history and various other diverse topics.

His Urge and His Guru-

The affluence of the family slowly started to evaporate and since then Narendra started to question the existence of God. His urge to find the truth was so greater than he started to meet up his pandits and all other renowned persons who claim to have realized the existence of God. That is when he met Sri Ramakrishna who was an accomplished spiritual figure of his time. That was the turn point in his life.

The first question he asked him with any hesitation was “have you seen God?”, the reply was straight forward and very assuring, ”yes, I have, as clearly as I see you. I can show you if you want.” The new chapter of guru-discipline relationship began from there on which became an inspiring example of unselfish love and pure trust. He started to visit his Guru quite regularly in Dakshineshwar along with other young fellow mates and started to abide by the path of spirituality under his great guidance.

His Spiritual Journey-

Soon he excelled in the spiritual path spontaneously and became the leader among his young fellow practitioners.He inspired brotherly love in all and encouraged renunciation. When eventually his Guru gave up his mortal body, Narendra took oath to follow the monastic livelihood to achieve the bigger mission in his life for greater good of the society and became Swami Vivekananda.

It was in 1890, Narendra took leave from Baranagar Matha, after receiving blessings from Sri Sarada Devi, wife to Sri Rama Krishna (his Guru) whom he called as Holy Mother, to explore and discovery the weakness of India. During his exploration, intolerable poverty and backwardness moved him deeply.

He understood the need of moral senses to end the corruption that crept in the society which deprived and neglected the masses and only certain group of people had all the privileges. Narendra wanted to infuse practical spiritual knowledge in every being to reward their faith towards their own religions. To carry out his plans, he founded an organization which has become renowned afterthere – “Ramkrishna Mission” after his Guru’s name. When these ideas and formulation into philosophy were creeping in his mind, he came to know about World’ Parliament of Religions to be held in Chicago in 1893. He understood the importance of attending such a forum to spread his message across the world and left for America.

In September 1893, he made his world famous speech in World’s Parliament Of Religions starting his oratory with “ My brothers and sisters ” which transcended the barrier of religions, caste and creed. He successfully established himself as a “messenger of India Wisdom to the Western World”. He spent nearly three years thereby spread the lessons and messages of Vedanta taught by his Guru in the foreign countries.

His Works In India-

After returning back to India, he received an overwhelming response of the masses which spurred him to continue to spread his messages throughout the country. He received huge response from the crowd because his speech was very relevant to the contemporary problems of the society, his solutions and practices were practical, his oratory appealed to masses. Soon he had a large number of followers to arouse the religious conscience, to uplift the principle and practices of Vedanta and to educate the under-privileged mass.

With the name and fame of Swamiji, Ramkrishna Mission came to focus where monks undertook the oath to propagate the messages of Swamiji through various social acts such as schools, colleges, hospitals and rural development centers. He also took part in rehabilitation for the victims of natural calamities and lent their helping hands to their rescue.

In 1898, Swami decided to build Belur Math on the western bank of river Ganga. A big plot was acquired for a permanent place beside it where monks can reside and carry out their works in peace. Swamiji touched upon millions of lives including a large chunk of western culture as well. His works, messages and guidelines are immortal and inspire youth to the largest extent.

On 4th July 1902, he had his Mahasamadhi before which he wrote to his followers-
“It may be that I shall find it good to get outside my body, to cast it off like a worn out garment. But I shall not cease to work. I shall inspire men everywhere until the whole world shall know that it is one with God.”