Discrimination Against Women In Hinduism - Women Not Allowed Inside Temple During

Reaction score
According to Hinduism soul does not have any gender hence discrimination on basis of gender looks baseless to me.
Nothing in Hinduism is with meaning even if we talk about various rituals and practice's in this Great Sanatana Dharma it will always have some valuable hidden meaning.

Unfortunately these hidden meanings remained hidden and were not carried on to our next generation as a result of which can see some imbalances in the society. Had our generation known full meaning of our rituals, we could had very well avoided westerner and communist fanatics and half learnt scholars who now a days cry of discrimination against women and dictate us to do certain things in the name of freedom of expression. Last year saw them taking on Sabarimala and hurting religious sentiments of millions of people.

I am doing research to Unleash the main reasons why Women's are not allowed inside temples during mensuration cycle and Below are points :

1) Temples are places of hygiene along with positive energy. To maintain this hygiene it is said women cannot come insde temple during mensuration cycle even man has to come only after taking bath and cleaning himself.

2) Please read book named 'Eka Shapachi Gosht' written author named Aruna Deshpande in Marathi on the periods or mensuration issue I am unable to find it in the market but if you can find it. it might guide you with great facts.

3) In ancient times there were no taps or water connections for drinking water hence only source of water were rivers and ponds. their water was used for drinking, washing clothes and even for cooking purpose. People used to enter temples only after taking baths hence during mensuration period women were not allowed to take bath in rivers and ponds so that water doesn't get contaminated rather they had to take bath at home only, everything was kept separate and they were allowed to just take rests.
Women had to work tirelessly during other days hence this time was for them to completely take rest away from family stresses and work.

4)Temples at that time were large hence they were not allowed so that they don't get tired hence they would stay at home.

5) As per Holy Vedas and Manu-Samhita there are 6 impurities:
  1. Semens
  2. Blood
  3. fat
  4. Marrow
  5. stool
  6. urine
If anyone gets in contact with any of them one should always take bath and when women is in her period she can't cook for god or worship in temples as many people come to temples.

Now the another part of story as its not only periods that people are restricted but there are other days when these restrictions take please for example:
  • During death of a person his close relatives are not allowed to goto temple or even others home
  • On birth of child again family members are not allowed to goto someones house of temples for few days
Reason Due unbalanced or negative energy from the people.
Temple is all about positive energy. People from all works of life come to temple to take blessing and they have huge faith that something good will happen to them. Here negative energy gets deducted and positive energy multiplies in the temple.

In ancient times it was banned just to keep hygiene. But now in modern days, these problems are almost non-existent as people can keep their hygiene in many ways hence women should certainly got to temple taking care of their hygiene.

Note: My research is not complete yet and I shall Post more points after doing research on Culture and menstruation : - Why women cannot go to Temple During Menstruation?

Reaction score
6) It is not only about being impure but Its also about being inconvenient. Just think of a women in her mensuration cycle willingly or unwillingly made to sit for puja for almost 1+ hour.
How uncomfortable she will be just think about that, hence woman should be given much needed rest during mensuration cycle (as due to loss of blood they tend to feel weak and often have to feel the pain).

7) As per Yoga and ayurveda life force or prana of a female during mensuration cycle or during periods shows an abnormal variance. Since the vibrations are disturbed hence to ensure that these vibrations cannot disturb others some of these customs are enforced.
Note: Pranic Healing Master can easily observe and confirm this fact

paul linus

Reaction score
I have a personal view here and is related to modern era and not strictly following the past eras. I believe there is nothing wrong in worshipping God during the period. Every living creation on Earth is a creator itself - human beings, animals, reptiles and all species. This means all the species have such biological process, which is a biological system of females. It is very natural and getting attached to almighty does not mean a time schedule has to be set. It can be any time, any how and anywhere.

jitendra05

Reaction score
I have a personal view here and is related to modern era and not strictly following the past eras. I believe there is nothing wrong in worshipping God during the period. Every living creation on Earth is a creator itself - human beings, animals, reptiles and all species. This means all the species have such biological process, which is a biological system of females. It is very natural and getting attached to almighty does not mean a time schedule has to be set. It can be any time, any how and anywhere.
Yes, women can worship in their mind during menstrual period. Like the way "“MAN MERA MANDIR, SHIV MERI PUJA” ".