Kichakeswari Mata Mandir

JaneSmith105

Member
Joined
May 1, 2019
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Kichakesvari /Kichakeshwari / Kichakeswari temple is located at a longitude 85° 49° 58°degree east and latitude of 21° 55° 39° degree north and it is 1220 ft above sea level. The temple itself faces towards the east. It consists of a square rekha vimana that stands over a high platform of 1.20 mtrs of high. The approximate allocation of space in terms of length and breath is approximate 9.50 mtrs x 9.50 mtrs. It can be reached 13 km north of highway #6, from Singda chowk and 20 km north from Chodhaibur. It is also situated at a distance of 60 Km from Keonjhar Town, 150 km from Baripada, 250 km from Balasore and 350 km from Bhubaneshwar. The nearest railway station is from Keonjhar town which connects the main line to Bhubaneshwar.

The main object of worship in this village is the 10 armed image of Maa Chamunda or Maa Kali or Maa Kinchakesvari. The temple is made up of black chlorite which faces towards the east and consists of rekha vimana and stands over a high platform of 1.15-1.20 meters. The interior is single roomed where the Goddess deity is present and worshiped. The exteriors of temple is highly decorated, with magnificent sculptors like nayakas, naga-nagi, Ganesha, kirtimukha, khakharamundi and other divine god and goddess.

Inside the complex there is a well preserved brick structure known as Itamundhi, during the time of excavation in the year 1908 several images of gods and goddess where found including the images of Buddha.

The temple complex also have a museum where one can see several sculptors like Ardhanageswar,Vaishnavi, Nandi, Kartikeya, Avalokiteswa, Buddha and others from the nearby excavational site. All these findings signify that once this area flourished combined with the presence of highly original aesthetic sense and extraordinary craftsmanship.

Temples History : The name Khiching means a corruption of Khijjinga or Khijjinga-kota. Khiching was the ancient capital of Bhanjas rule of Khijjinga kota. This temple was build during the 10th century A.D. but it was in a ruin during the 19th century so it was again reconstructed by Maharaja Pratap Chandra Bhanjadeo in the year 1942. The ruins of this ancient magnificent town extend far beyond the limits of the presentvillage from the bank of the Khairabandhan river in the north to that of the Kantakhair river in the south where they merge together to become the Vaitarniriver. Although this was the main centre of Shaivism and Sakta but excavations suggests that Buddhism also flourished once during these periods.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
admin Temples and Pilgrimage 0
G Temples and Pilgrimage 0

Similar threads


Top