Ravan And Hanuman's Conversation

garry420

Reaction score
When Ravan saw Hanumana he ridiculed and made fun of him. But when he remembered the death of his son, he became angry. He asked -

"O monkey who are you? Why did you destroy the garden and uproot the trees? Haven't you heard about me? Why did you kill the demon? Don't you fear for your life? By whose power did you destroy the garden?"

Hanumana replied : "Listen Ravan, I am the messenger of that supreme power with the help of whom illusion creates the universe; the power which helps Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh to perform their duties of creation, nurture and destruction respectively. I am the messenger of Sri Rama whose wife you have abducted deceitfully."

Hanumana then warned Ravan of the consequences he woould certainly face because of his action. He also said that he had invited death and destruction to his whole clan.

Ravan became furious. He ordered his commanders to kill Hanumana. Right then Vibhishan arrived and advised Ravan against killing a messenger.

Then Ravan ordered Hanumana's tail to be burnt, thinking that the tail of the monkey is dearest to him. Ravan said -

"Tie a piece of cloth soaked with oil on his tail and put his tail on fire."

Hanumana was pleased with his decision. He extended his tail to such an extent that the whole stock of oil, ghee and clothes in Lanka were exhausted.

Hanumana's tail was then put on fire. As soon as it happened, Hanumana climbed up on top of the palace. The wives of the demons got frightened by his appearance. He then started jumping from one palace to another and thus putting them on fire too. The fire spread very fast and soon the whole Lanka was ablazing. The people of Lanka started running helter and shelter in fear. Hanumana burnt whole of Lanka except Vibhishan's palace.

After burning Lanka Hanumana jumped into the ocean to extinguish the fire on his tail and then reached Ashok-Vatika to meet Sita. Greeting Sita he requested her to give something as a present and as a testimony so that Sri Rama could believe that he had really met her.

Sita presented her Chudamani to him, which he took with great joy and respect. Sita instructed Hanumana to convey her salutations to Sri Rama. She also said-

"He won't find me alive if he did not come here within one month."

Sita became sad thinking about Hanumana's departure. Hanumana consoled her that everything would be all right very soon. Hanumana then thundered loudly causing abortion to the expecting ogresses. Hanumana took a giant leap and flew across the other side of the ocean where other monkeys were awaiting for him.

Hanumana narrated the whole story to Jambawant, Angad and other monkeys. Everybody was pleased that Sita was safe.

When Sugreeva heard about the news of Sita he became very happy. Sugreeva went to Sri Rama along with Hanumana and all the other monkeys.

Jambawant told the whole story how Hanumana had brought the news of Sita. Sri Rama then embraced Hanumana and inquired about Sita's well being.