Who is Nandanar ?

JaneSmith105

Reaction score
Nandanar is a saint extolled in the periyapurana, a saiva siddhanta scripture. In a village, engaged in the trade of selling the carcasses of the cow and tending his landlord's farm was an unusual person. He had great love for Lord Shiva. He was desperate to visit a temple, Thiruppunkoor. This place is situated a mile away from the famous vaidheeswaran temple, around a hour's journey from Chidambaram (Thillai). [Lord Shiva has kindly permitted me to visit this temple many times] However, his landlord would not allow him to go despite frequent requests. Finally, one day in frustration, the landlord said, 'If you can till all the 40 acres of land in a single day, you can go.' This impossible feat was done by Lord Shiva itself overnight enabling Nandanar to visit the temple. Since Nandanar (who belonged to a lower caste by birth) could not enter the temple and see the Lord, the Nandi moved a good 2-3 feet (which is seen as such to the present day). With the movement of the Nandi, he could see Lord Shiva despite standing outside the temple. Sekkizhar in periyapuranam says that Lord Shiva asked Nandi to move. The tank in the temple was built by Nandanar.

The story of Nandanar attaining mukti is, however, a great tale. After Nandanar returned to his village, he wanted to go to Thillai but he was caught up in his work. He expressed his desire for Thillai to everyone, and slowly people started asking him every day, 'When are you leaving for Thillai ?' He used to say 'Tomorrow I will go.' It is said that his name became 'Naalai' because he used to say Tomorrow every time. Finally, one day he decided to leave. Because of his low caste (parrayan), he used to go to the top of every street in Thillai and stand and shout 'Varuhalamo' (May I come in ?) The high caste people would close their doors and stay inside till he crossed the street.

Still, Nandanar was very afraid to enter the temple and stayed in the city. The song 'Varuhalaamo (May I come)' is very beautiful. The second stanza goes, 'You are the treasure of the compassion, are you not ? This parrayan, is he fit to pay you compliments ? To see your blissful dance, May I come in ? O Thillai Varadaa One who can extinguish my feverish longing (of seeing you) May I come in ?' Shiva taking pity on him came in the dreams of many brahmins and told them there was a superior bhakta. And that the brahmins were to construct a fire and Nandanar would enter and come out unscathed. Therefore the Brahmins built a huge fire and called nandanar to cross the fire. The story says that he crossed the fire without any burns and entered the temple, but did not come out of the temple, because he merged into the Lord Nataraja there. This story has not been told in periyapuranam in detail but Bharatiyar brings the cruel situation of casteism /racism between people and shows how the Lord does not look for the jati but only prema. Such is the Lila of Lord Shiva, who has no equal.