Hanuman Leaps Across The Ocean

garry420

Reaction score
When Jambvant praised Hanumana and reminded him of his latent powers, he at once got ready to leap across the ocean and reach Lanka. Hanumana then climbed over the peak of the Mountain Mahendra, which was situated at the seashore and took a mighty leap. While Hanumana was flying over the ocean, the gods decided to test him. They instructed Mountain Mainaak, which was situated under the sea to tempt Hanumana with an offer to take some rest. Mainaak emerged from the waters and requested Hanumana to take rest for a while. Hanumana refused saying that until Sri Rama's task was completed, he wouldn't take any rest.

The deities wanted to test the power and intelligence of Hanuman further in order to confirm whether he was compatible for the arduous task or not. They sent Surasa, the mother of the Nagas to test his intelligence.

Surasa obstructed the path and wanted to swallow him. Hanuman assured her that on his return after accomplishing Sri Rama's task, she could happily swallow him. But she did not allow Hanumana to proceed further.

Surasa opened her mouth and expanded it for one hundred Yojans. Hanumana expanded his body for two hundred Yojans. She expanded her mouth even further but suddenly Hanumana took a small size and entering Surasa's mouth, jumped out again in an instant.

Surasa was now pleased by Hanumana's power and intelligence. She was confident that Hanumana had the capability of accomplishing Sri Rama's task.

There used to live an ogress under the sea. She had the power of catching even the shadow of flying organisms that happened to fall on the sea surface. This way she usually got her food. She wanted to devour Hanumana. Hanumana killed her without effort and after crossing the ocean reached at the gates of Lanka.

HANUMANA REACHES LANKA
Hanumana saw a beautiful garden with trees ladden with fruits and the birds chirping merrily. Hanumana climbed on top of a mountain and saw the city of Lanka. The golden palace, surrounded by ocean on all sides, looked great and magnificent.

Hanumana was amazed to see the magnificence of Lanka, which looked like a very prosperous city and well fortified and guarded by the demons.

Hanumana remembered Sri Rama and assuming a mimiature appearance tried to sneak into Lanka. An ogress Lankini spotted him and challenged him for entering Lanka deceitfully. Hanumana gave her a severe blow. She fell down on the earth vomiting blood. She got up and after making salutation to him said

"When Brahma was returning after blessing Ravan with a boon, he had told me that the day a monkey would punch me, would signify the end of Ravan."

Hanumana then searched for Sita in each and every house of Lanka. He also searched for her in the palace of Ravan, but Sita was not to be found.

Hanumana then saw a house, which was situated in isolation from the rest of the houses. He also saw a basil plant and symbol of Sri Rama's bow and arrow. Hanumana was wondering at the existence of saintly signs and symbols in the city of the demons.

Hanumana was still wondering when suddenly Vibhishan awakened from his night's sleep and started chanting the name of Sri Rama. Desirous of meeting Vibhishan, Hanumana disguised himself as a Brahmin and approached the house.

Vibhishan after greeting Hanumana enquired about his identity. Hanumana introduced himself and narrated the tale of Sri Rama. Both of them embraced each other.

Vibhishan telling about his condition said that he was living just like a tongue surrounded by the teeth. He said -

"I wonder when Sri Ram would bless me with his Darshan. Though I am born in a clan of the demons yet I am not the least attached to them. My heart only longs for Sri Rama." Hanumana then told Vibhishan that Sri Rama always has affection towards his devotees.

Hanumana further said -
"Look at me I do not belong to a respectable and noble clan. I am also a monkey but still Sri Rama has obliged me."

Vibhishan then narrated how Sita was living at Ashok Vatika. Hanumana expressed his desire to see Sita. Vibhishan devised a plan and told Hanumana how he could sneak into the garden and see Sita.

Hanumana then transformed himself in his dwarfish size and entered Ashok Vatika. There he saw Sita in a sorry condition sitting under an Ashoka tree. He greeted Sita mentally and concealed himself among the leaves of a tree.