The Origin of Panchatantra Stories

JaneSmith105

Reaction score
It is heard that there was a city in southern India named Mahilaropya. The name of the king in the city was Amarshakti. He was benevolent, a scholar and a very pious man. He had three sons whose names were Bahusakti, Ugrasakti and Anantshakti. All three of them were absolutely stupid and uninterested. Seeing his three sons absolutely disinterested and indifferent to education He (the king) called upon the ministers and said, "As you know that my three sons are absolutely disinterested towards knowledge and lack common sense and understanding, looking at them I can't even enjoy this big empire and its happiness."

There is a rightly said saying, "They not only took birth but took birth and died and the grief of them passed away soon but those who have sons who are fools have to bear misery throughout life." Therefore it is high time that something has to be done so that they take interest and develop their minds. A minister humbly said, Amongst our courtiers and scholars there is a Brahmin scholar named Vishnu sharma who is learned and has mastery over several fields. Why not entrust our princes to his care? They will surely become wise and clever.

The king invited Vishnu Sharma to his court and told him that he would like to entrust his son in his care and in lieu of this he would make him the Lord of hundred villages.

Vishnu Sharma listened to the king's proposal and patiently replied, "My Lord, I don't sell my learning's by taking rewards and gifts. But I shall train your son and make them wise within six months time. This is my assurance.

JaneSmith105

Reaction score
THERE ARE FIVE TANTRAS IN PANCHATANTRAM
  1. THE FIRST TANTRA (MITRABHED) -
    Differences Between Friends. The first tantra begins with a story of two friends (lion and a bullock). A greedy jackal crates differences between them by employing evil means. All the other stories of this chapter (section) are interrelated and follow in a sequential manner.

2. THE SECOND TANTRA (MITRASAMPRAPTIH) -
    Union With Friends

The second tantra begins with a story Chitragreeva- the pigeon and Hiranyak- the mouse. The intelligent mouse helps Chitragreeva in releasing himself along with the other pigeons from the net of a fowler. This section sheds light on the importance of friendship.

3. THE THIRD TANTRA (KAKOLUKIYAM) -
    Friendship Of Former Enemy Is Untrustworthy

The third tantra stresses on the importance of being aware of a friend, who was formerly an enemy.

4. THE FOURTH TANTRA (LABDHAPRANAASHAM) -
    Unwavering Intelligence Even During Emergencies

The fourth tantra specifies the importance of a man’s presence of mind during emergencies.

5. THE FIFTH TANTRA (APARIKSHITKARKAM) -
    Accomplishment Of Ones Task Using Discriminative Intelligence

The fifth tantra explains the importance of discriminative intelligence in accomplishment of one’s task.

JaneSmith105

Reaction score
Thanks !
The Panchatantra is the oldest collection of Indian fables surving today.