Arrival Of Ravan At Ashok Vatika

garry420

Reaction score
Ravan arrived at Ashok Vatika accompanied by many women. He tried every trick to bend Sita's will power. He said.

"O beautiful Sita - just look at me for once and I will make you my queen consort and appoint all the women including Mandodari in your service."

When Sita heard Ravan's voice, she concealed herself taking a piece of grass in her hand. Here Sita trying to conceal herself behind the grass has a great symbolic importance. Sita had appeared from the earth. As such the grass symbolizes as her sibling. Another interpretation is that by showing grass to Ravan, Sita tries to show his worth.

Replying to Ravan, Sita said - "O fool, don't you know that the flowers of lotus do not bloom for petty beatles. It's nectar is enjoyed by strong bumble bees. Don't you feel ashamed that you have abducted me like a thief in Sri Rama's absence - because you were afraid of the might of Sri Rama's arrows."

Ravan became very angry when Sita compared him with a beatle. He drew out his sword and threatened to kill her. He again told Sita to accept his demands or else face death. Sita again said that only Sri Rama's arms could touch her and not his (Ravan's) sword."

Ravan became so furious that he ran towards Sita to kill her with his sword. Mandodari prevented him saying that it was not appropriate for a mighty king like him to raise arms on a woman.

Ravan summoned numerous ogresses and ordered them to torment Sita to the extent of submission. He also set a deadline of one month. The ogresses started tormenting Sita applying all means.

Among them was an ogress named Trajata who had great respect for Sri Rama. She made the other ogresses realize the importance of serving Sita. She said -

"I had a dream yesternight that a monkey had burnt Lanka and killed all the commanders. I also saw Ravan sitting naked on the back of an ass going southwards. All his ten heads and twenty arms were severed. I also saw Vibhishan being crowned as the king of Lanka. My dream is definitely going to realize. Within four days you will all witness it."

Trijata's narration of the dream terrified all the other ogresses. They bowed with respect to Sita and dispersed.

HANUMANA REACHES LANKA
Hanumana saw a beautiful garden in which there were trees ladden with fruits. Birds were chirping in that garden. Hanumana climbed on top of a mountain and saw the city of Lanka. The golden palace, surrounded by the seas on all sides, looked great and magnificent.

Hanumana was amazed to see the splendour of Lanka. It looked like a very prosperous city and well fortified and guarded by the demons. He also saw beautiful women who were capable of seducing even the supreme celibates.

Hanumana remembered Sri Rama and acquired an extremely miniature form and entered Lanka. An ogress Lankini saw him. She challenged him for entering Lanka deceitfully. Hanumana gave her a severe blow. She fell down on the earth vomiting blood. She got up and after making salutation to him said -

"When Brahma was returning after blessing Ravan with a boon, he had told me that the day a monkey would punch me, would signify the end of Ravan."

Hanumana then searched for Sita in each and every house of Lanka. He also searched for her in the palace of Ravan, but Sita was not to be found anywhere.

Hanumana then saw a house, which was situated in isolation from the rest of the houses. He also saw a basil plant and symbol of Sri Rama's bow and arrow. Hanumana was wondering at the existence of saintly signs and symbols in the city of the demons.

Hanumana was still wondering when suddenly Vibhishan got up from his sleep. Vibhishan started chanting the name of Sri Rama. Hanumana became desirous of meeting Vibhishan. Hanumana disguised himself as a Brahmin and approached the house.

Vibhishan greeting Hanumana inquired about his identity. Hanuman then introduced himself and narrated the tale of Sri Rama. Both of them embraced each other with tears rolling down from their eyes.

Vibhishan narrating his condition said that he was living in Lanka just like a tongue lives surrounded by the teeth. He said -

"I wonder when Sri Rama would bless me with His Darshan. Though I am born in a clan of the demon yet I am not the least attached to them. My heart only longs for Sri Rama." Hanumana then told Vibhishan that Sri Rama always has affection towards his devotees.

Hanumana further said -
"Look at me I do not belong to a respectable and noble clan. I am also a monkey but still Sri Rama has obliged me."

Vibhishan then narrated how Sita was living at Ashok Vatika. Hanumana expressed his desire to see Sita. Vibhishan devised a plan and told Hanumana how he could meet Sita.

Hanumana then transformed himself in his dwarfish size and entered Ashok Vatika. He saw Sita in a sorry condition sitting under an Ashok tree. He saluted Sita mentally and concealed himself among the leaves of the tree.